Canvas Training & Documentation
How to Access Canvas
Login to Canvas at http://canvas.uncg.edu with your UNCG username and password. If you have not activated your computing accounts, you can do so on the Computer Accounts Activation form. If you do not know your password, you may reset it on the Self-Service Password Reset form.
Getting Started with Canvas
This is a self-paced training course that instructors can enroll in to learn the basics of using Canvas. Topics include the basics of navigation, communication, adding content, assignments, and grading. Instructors can remain enrolled in the course to use it as a resource however, note that each module in the course contains a short quiz. If instructors want to use the course to get credit for the Initial Professional Development requirement, they can submit and pass the module quizzes and then contact me to receive documentation stating they have met the requirement. There is no requirement to submit the quizzes if the instructor is not looking to get professional development credit.
Here is the link to enroll in the course:
If you need additional help, workshops are offered periodically directly within the College. You can view the schedule and sign up here. You can also contact Anita Warfford directly to arrange individual or group training offered in-person or via Zoom.
Additionally, ITS offers some workshops open to all of campus. dates and times are provided You can view and sign up here.
Here is the link to the complete Canvas Instructor Guide (http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152). Below are shortcuts to some of the most commonly needed information. All links open in new browser tabs.
- Best Practices If You’re New to Canvas
- Checklist for a New Online Course
- How to Access User Settings
- How to set Notification Preferences
- How to Reorder and Hide Course Navigation links
- How to Copy your Course into a New Section
- How to Combine your Course Sections
- Tips to Make Your Course ADA Compliant
Working with Grades
- How the Gradebook is Organized
- How to Weight Grades (Note: this happens under the Assignments button)
- How to Enter and Edit Scores in the Gradebook
- How to use SpeedGrader
- How to Mute Assignments (hold grades until all assignments have been graded, and then release all grades at the same time)
- How to Excuse an Assignment for a Student
If you would like to view the tutorials as short video clips, here is a link to the Canvas Video Guide for Instructors:
Organizations in Canvas
If you wish to have an organization in Canvas, visit this request form:
If your organization is mainly used for sharing documents, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Box might be better alternatives. Here’s the link to more information on all of the file storage options at UNCG.